daily devotionals online logo Monday, September 28, 2026 7:45 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Watering The Weeds - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Watering The Weeds details logo    Our Daily Bread - Wednesday, April 27, 2023
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Watering The Weeds

Bible in a Year: 1 Kings 1-2, Luke 19:28-48

So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
Galatians 5:16

Today's Scripture & Insight: Galatians 5:13-26

This spring, weeds attacked our backyard like something out of Jurassic Park. One got so big that when I tried to pull it out, I feared I might injure myself. Before I could find a spade to whack it down, I noticed that my daughter was actually pouring water on it. "Why are you watering the weeds?!" I exclaimed. "I want to see how big it will get!" she replied with an impish grin.

Weeds aren't something we intentionally nourish. But as I thought about it, I realized that sometimes we do water the "weeds" in our spiritual lives, feeding desires that strangle our growth.

Paul writes about this in Galatians 5:13-26, where he contrasts living by the flesh with living by the Spirit. He says trying to follow the rules alone won't establish the kind of "weed-free" life we long for. Instead, to avoid watering the weeds, he instructs us to "walk by the Spirit." He adds that being in regular step with God is what frees us from the impulse to "gratify the desires of the flesh" (v. 16).

It's a lifelong process to fully understand Paul's teaching. But I love the simplicity of his guidance: instead of growing something unwanted by nourishing our own self-focused desires, when we're cultivating our relationship with God, we grow fruit and reap the harvest of a godly life (vv. 22-25).

By: Adam Holz

Reflect & Pray
What areas of your spiritual life need some "weeding"? How can you surrender to God and walk with Him?

Father, sometimes I water the weeds in my life. Help me to instead experience being in step with You as You produce spiritual fruit in my life.
Watering The Weeds





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
The LORD is near
for Friday, December 20, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.


Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
(Galatians 6:1-2)


The verse above enjoins spiritual ones...More
Get God's Opinion (2)
The Word for today
for Thursday, January 30, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Get God's Opinion (2)

Don't let anyone look down on you because' 1 Timothy 4:12 NIV
Try as you may, you will never fulfil a dream that is not your own. Stop and think about your personal history. How have your plans, goals and desires been influenced by others? Is it possible your dreams are the result of who your parents...More
Diligence in Prayer
The LORD is near
for Wednesday, October 21, 2021
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Diligence in Prayer

For You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.
Psalm 9:10

Diligence in Prayer
Diligence in prayer is the secret of eminent holiness. Without question there is a vast difference among true Christians. There is an immense gap between the greatest and the weakest in the army of...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions