daily devotionals online logo Monday, September 28, 2026 6:26 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Prodigal Perfectionists - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Prodigal Perfectionists details logo    Our Daily Bread - Sunday, September 28, 2025
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Prodigal Perfectionists

Bible in a Year : Isaiah 5-6, Ephesians 1

He ran to his son, threw his arms round him and kissed him.
Luke 15:20

Today's Scripture & Insight : Luke 15:11-24

Outwardly, successful Olympic track athlete Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone looked rock solid. Inwardly, it was a different story. “I convinced myself that I was put on this earth to win,” she confessed, “And in order to receive love and respect from others, I had to finish first.”

Though she was a believer, her self-worth was secretly entirely attached to her athletic success, leaving her trapped by shame and fear of failure. Gradually, her husband’s honesty about his own weaknesses gave her courage not to hide her mistakes. In prayer, Sydney fully surrendered herself to God—and was transformed.

I’m not an athlete, but I relate to Sydney’s struggle of attaching my self-worth to my achievements or others’ approval. Jesus’ parable of the Lost Son is not just for the profligate sinners who relate to the son’s rejection of the Father in favour of overindulgence and “wild living” (Luke 15:13). It’s also for those who struggle secretly with shame and failure, which is the position the son found himself in when he was destitute. At our lowest, we may also feel, “I am no longer worthy to be called [God’s child]” (vv. 19, 21).

If you are struggling with feeling ashamed by your failings or failures, I invite you to spend time with that picture of God as the father, “filled with compassion” (v. 20), embracing us and welcoming us home. May God’s exuberant love dissolve our shame.

By: Tanya Marlow

Reflect & Pray
What has been your journey with perfectionism and needing others’ approval? In what areas of your life do you need God’s love to dissolve your shame?

Loving Heavenly Father, I bring to you my shame and secret fear. Help me look only to You and receive Your exuberant love for me.
Prodigal Perfectionists





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


HE SENDS ON ERRANDS
Open Heavens
for Friday, December 27, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

HE SENDS ON ERRANDS

God promotes like no one else. Since He is higher than the highest of men, He can lift you to the height no man can take you to. This season, the Lord will promote you. Many years ago, at the first time I was leaving Nigeria for overseas, I was on my way to Canada to attend a world conference of Applied...More
IDENTIFY YOUR ENEMIES I
Open Heavens
for Sunday, March 9, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

IDENTIFY YOUR ENEMIES I

In the School of Disciples of the ministry I oversee, one of the three principal Modules...More
Honest to God
Our Daily Bread
for Tuesday, July 3, 2019
by RBC Ministries

Honest to God

Bible in a Year: Job 25-27; Acts 12


Psalm 32:5

Today's Scripture & Insight: Isaiah 1:12-18

My three-year-old grandson's day was off to a rotten start. He couldn't find his favorite shirt. The shoes he wanted to wear were too hot. He fussed and fumed at his...More
The first thing mentioned in this verse is...
The Good Seed
for Tuesday, August 30, 2023
by GBV Dillenburg GmbH

The first thing mentioned in this verse is...

They continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Acts 2:42.

The first thing mentioned in this verse is the doctrine, i.e. the teaching of the apostles. It is the foundation for the personal and the corporative life of Christians. It...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions