daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 11:08 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


No More Running - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

No More Running details logo    Our Daily Bread - Monday, July 9, 2019
  by RBC Ministries
Details
No More Running

Bible in a Year: Job 38-40; Acts 16:1-21

In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry.
Jonah 2:2

Today's Scripture & Insight: Jonah 2:1-10

On July 18, 1983, a US Air Force captain disappeared from Albuquerque, New Mexico, without a trace. Thirty-five years later, authorities found him in California. The New York Times reports that, "depressed about his job," he'd simply run away.

Thirty-five years on the run! Half a lifetime spent looking over his shoulder! I have to imagine that anxiety and paranoia were this man's constant companions.

But I have to admit, I also know a bit about being "on the run." No, I've never abruptly fled something in my life . . . physically. But at times I know there's something God wants me to do, something I need to face or confess. I don't want to do it. And so, in my own way, I run too.

The prophet Jonah is infamous for literally running from God's assignment to preach to the city of Nineveh (see Jonah 1:1-3). But, of course, he couldn't outrun God. You've probably heard what happened (vv. 4,17): A storm. A fish. A swallowing. And, in the belly of the beast, a reckoning, in which Jonah faced what he'd done and cried to God for help (2:2).

Jonah wasn't a perfect prophet. But I take comfort in his remarkable story, because, even despite Jonah's stubbornness, God never let go of him. The Lord still answered the man's desperate prayer, graciously restoring His reluctant servant (v. 2)—just as He does with us.

By Adam Holz

Reflect & Pray
What, if anything, have you tried to run away from in your life? How can you grow in bringing to God the pressures that overwhelm you?





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


Behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph,...
The LORD is near
for Tuesday, December 24, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph,...


Behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their...More
JESUS IN YOUR BOAT
Open Heavens
for Wednesday, February 26, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

JESUS IN YOUR BOAT

No doubt, life in a sense is like the sea. A characteristic of the sea is that storms of varying degrees arise, putting the lives of those sailing on it in jeopardy of being drowned. In Jesus' Name, the storms of life will not be able to drown you, your family and your business. While literal storms are natural...More
This tender plant,...
The Good Seed
for Sunday, December 24, 2017
by GBV Dillenburg GmbH

This tender plant,...

...More

Temmy's thegoodseed daily devotional This tender plant,...
Trusting Our Future to God
Our Daily Bread
for Tuesday, November 23, 2022
by RBC Ministries

Trusting Our Future to God

Bible in a Year: Ezekiel 20-21, James 5

...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions