daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 3:15 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Returning Home - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Returning Home details logo    Our Daily Bread - Tuesday, November 11, 2020
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Returning Home

Bible in a Year: Jeremiah 50, Hebrews 8

In distant lands they will remember me . . . and they will return.
Zechariah 10:9

Today's Scripture & Insight: Zechariah 10:6-12

Walter Dixon had five days to honeymoon before he shipped off to the Korean War. Less than a year later, troops found Dixon's jacket on the battlefield, with letters from his wife stuffed in the pockets. Military officials informed his young wife that her husband had been killed in action. Actually, Dixon was alive and spent the next 2.5 years as a POW. Every waking hour, he plotted to get home. Dixon escaped five times but was always recaptured. Finally, he was set free. You can imagine the shock when he returned home!

God's people knew what it was to be captured, moved far away, and to long for home. Due to their rebellion against God, they were exiles. They woke each morning yearning to return, but they had no way to rescue themselves. Thankfully, God promised He'd not forgotten them. "I will restore them because I have compassion on them" (Zechariah 10:6). He would meet the people's relentless ache for home, not because of their perseverance, but because of His mercy: "I will signal for them . . . and they will return" (vv. 8-9).

Our sense of exile may come because of our bad decisions or because of hardships beyond our control. Either way, God hasn't forgotten us. He knows our desire and will call to us. And if we'll answer, we'll find ourselves returning to Him—returning home.

By: Winn Collier

Reflect & Pray
Where do you sense exile in your life? How are you hearing God calling you, showing you how to return home?


God, I feel far away from You. I know You're near, but I feel so distant. Would You help me to hear Your call? Would You bring me home?
Returning Home





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


Get God's Opinion (1)
The Word for today
for Wednesday, January 29, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Get God's Opinion (1)

The Lord does not look at the things man looks at' 1 Samuel 16:7 NIV
David's father didn't think he was qualified to be Israel's next king. So when Samuel came looking for a successor to King Saul, he presented his eldest son Eliab, who was a general in the army. Samuel was impressed. Samuel saw Eliab...More
THE ULTIMATE GOAL
Open Heavens
for Monday, August 23, 2016
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

THE ULTIMATE GOAL

Read:


Bible in one year:
Isaiah 49-51
Psalms 40:1-10

Hymn:
Sing hymn 4

God's eternal purpose for calling us into His kingdom is to make us a people that will be conformed to the image of His Son Jesus Christ. The moment we surrender our lives...More
Not I but Christ
The LORD is near
for Friday, October 2, 2021
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Not I but Christ

Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
Mark 8:34

Not I but Christ
I have heard it said, "People should be allowed to be themselves." But I can find no scriptural basis to support this statement, for freedom "to be myself" is to...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions