daily devotionals online logo Monday, September 28, 2026 6:26 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


It was a disconcerting... - All The Good Seed Daily Devotionals for 2026

It was a disconcerting... details logo    The Good Seed - Friday, December 9, 2023
  by GBV Dillenburg GmbH
Details
It was a disconcerting...

The LORD God of hosts, the Lord, says this: I hate, I despise your feast days. Take away from me the noise of your songs, for I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments.
Amos 5:16.21.23.

It was a disconcerting, rousing word with which God addressed His people through the prophet Amos. God was not satisfied with His people outwardly celebrating feasts in His honour, when their hearts were far from Him. My own encounters with people show how topical this problem is:

In a conversation with a young man I asked him, "Are you a Christian?" - "Yes, but I'm not a submarine Christian." - "What's that?" - "Submerged Christians who only emerge at certain times like Christmas, Easter and Whitsun. I practise the Christian faith every day." How right the young man was! There is definitely a whole fleet of submarine Christians.

When I asked a woman the same question, she replied, "Yes, but only on paper." She was at least honest. A baptismal certificate is not an admission ticket for heaven, nor does it keep anyone from hell. Only genuine heartfelt faith in Jesus Christ brings salvation. Whoever knows that his sins are forgiven through Christ will thank Him and love Him. That is the mark of a true Christian.

Before Christmas I distribute flyers with the real Christmas message at the station. Few show any interest. A man who watched the proceedings commented, "They all celebrate His birth, but none of them needs Him." His remark hit the nail on the head. Displaying the stall with the manger in a shop window, or under the Christmas tree without having a heart for Christ is preposterous. That makes the prophet Amos' urgent appeal applicable to us: "Seek me and live!" (Amos 5:4).

Today's reading: 2 Chronicles 23:12-21 · Revelation 11:1-11





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


Learn To Wait
The Word for today
for Tuesday, January 14, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Learn To Wait

My times are in Your hand'Psalms 31:15 NKJV

The Psalm writes, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, "You are my God." My times are in your hand' (vv. 14-15 NKJV). As you walk with God you'll find that you spend more time waiting than you do receiving. And when you receive what you're waiting for, then...More
EYES OF LOVE
Our Daily Bread
for Saturday, October 31, 2015
by RBC Ministries

EYES OF LOVE

READ:
, "Jesus looked at them and said," 'With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible'"(v.27).
Today, Jesus sees us through eyes of love and invites us to follow Him. - David McCasland


God has an all-seeing eye and all-forgiving heart....More
A Statement Of Purpose To Live By
The Word for today
for Friday, August 31, 2019
by Bob and Debby Gass

A Statement Of Purpose To Live By

Always give yourselves fully.' 1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV

Next time you pass a McDonald's, think about this statement from the one of the founders: Ray Kroc. Press on! Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent....More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions