daily devotionals online logo Monday, September 28, 2026 2:58 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


What a contrast! I’m sitting in an... - All The Good Seed Daily Devotionals for 2026

What a contrast! I’m sitting in an... details logo    The Good Seed - Wednesday, August 13, 2025
  by GBV Dillenburg GmbH
Details
What a contrast! I’m sitting in an...

And they gnashed at him with their teeth. But Stephen … gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God. … Then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and ran at him with one accord … and stoned him.
Acts 7:54–58

What a contrast! I’m sitting in an aeroplane and watching on the screen how a man wants to jump with a parachute from the highest waterfall in the world. It isn’t a feature film but a documentary: the man is attempting what others have risked before him but have ended up paying for with their lives. I then turn to my Bible and read how another man risked his life. But he wasn’t accompanied by television cameras or good wishes: he stood in the midst of a raging crowd ready to stone him.

I wonder why the waterfall jumper would risk his life. Is it the thrill of testing the limits of his abilities, of pushing himself to the edge? Is it an ego trip? I don’t know. But I do know why the other man, a Christian named Stephen, was willing to defy people and their opinions. He wasn’t foolhardy, or tired of life, or addicted to sensation – he was a follower of Jesus Christ and was full of devotion to Him. He considered it an honour to die for his Lord and Saviour.

The parachutist made it, by the way, the cameras catching his fist clenched in victory and his broad grin. Stephen, on the other hand, died. But even as he died, the heavens opened and he saw the glory of God. He no longer saw the hateful faces of the people, nor looked towards his approaching death, but he saw Jesus standing at the right hand of God, the one who had prepared an eternal home for him.

Both men risked their lives – but what did they really gain?

Today’s reading: Job 22:1-30 · Acts 13:1-12





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-FOOLISH PROPHETS
The LORD is near
for Thursday, December 5, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-FOOLISH PROPHETS

The word of Jehovah came unto me, saying: Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say unto them that prophesy out of their own heart, Hear ye the word of Jehovah. Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow after their own spirit, and have seen nothing!...More
EVERYONE NEEDS A MIRACLE
Open Heavens
for Tuesday, January 28, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

EVERYONE NEEDS A MIRACLE

Some years ago, I was invited to be the guest speaker at a garden party in an exclusive, highbrow residential area. Because I arrived at the venue quite early, I was made to sit for a while in the house of my host. The house was an exquisite parade of wealth and splendour. I had never seen such brazen display of...More
FOR CHRIST'S SAKE DON'T!
Open Heavens
for Wednesday, November 19, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE DON'T!

A negative change is generally abhorred by men. Everyone craves progress. We always desire to keep ascending the ladder of success. No one wants to make a u-turn in the journey of greatness. The greatest journey whose end has the greatest significance is the journey to Heaven. This journey is only made in Jesus...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions