daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 7:25 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


They used to call me Big Bill. I was... - All The Good Seed Daily Devotionals for 2026

They used to call me Big Bill. I was... details logo    The Good Seed - Monday, June 9, 2020
  by GBV Dillenburg GmbH
Details
They used to call me Big Bill. I was...

This is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
John 17:3

They used to call me Big Bill. I was a tall, strong lumberjack who habitually drank and swore. Decent people avoided me. But that didn't trouble me: I didn't care what other people thought. I feared no-one, neither man nor God.

One day, when I once again had nothing to do and was waiting for someone to invite me for a drink, a boy came running up to me and called out: "Big Bill, have you heard the latest? The settlers have fetched a preacher here. He's going to speak in the school tonight. I think you ought to go." That woke me up, and I exclaimed: "Don't be daft! We've never had any time for religion here, and so long as my name is Big Bill, things will stay that way." That evening the school hall was full of people. Many came to hear the Word of God, others just to discover how Big Bill would deal with the preacher.

When I reached the entrance, the preacher was reading the text: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). I heard those words and couldn't go a step further. The preacher re-read the text, then did so for the third time.

I don't how I got to the seat next to the door. I had never heard such words in my life. I sat and listened. And then I came to know the One who "loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).. And Big Bill became very small and was converted.

Today's reading: Leviticus 3:1-17 · Psalm 49:1-11





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


Having opened their treasures, they offered to Him gifts, gold, and frankincense
The LORD is near
for Wednesday, December 25, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Having opened their treasures, they offered to Him gifts, gold, and frankincense


"Having opened their treasures, they offered to Him gifts, gold, and frankincense, and myrrh."
(Matthew 2:11)

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and when the tidings reached the guilty tyrant who sat upon the Jewish throne, he "was troubled and all Jerusalem with him." The men of the city had...More
NEGATIVE LIVING
Open Heavens
for Sunday, March 2, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

NEGATIVE LIVING

Life comprises of positive and negative elements. As a matter of necessity, it is not good for someone to opt for negative living. The fact that Jesus Christ was destined to die for the sin of the whole world does not exonerate Judas Iscariot from the evil that led him to the idea of betraying the King of Glory....More
Hope Anyway
Our Daily Bread
for Sunday, July 22, 2018
by RBC Ministries

Hope Anyway

Read: Psalm 34:15-18 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 31-32; Acts 23:16-35



God's Word is the true source of comfort.

By Dave...More
Don't Quit
The LORD is near
for Monday, March 7, 2023
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Don't Quit

These all died in faith Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
Hebrews 11:13, 16 NKJV

Don't Quit
Hebrews 11 has been called the "Heroes' Hall of Faith." It presents illustrations of faith, not in an abstract way, but in the real...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions