daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 5:48 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Thoughts on the Gospel of John (8) - All The Good Seed Daily Devotionals for 2026

Thoughts on the Gospel of John (8) details logo    The Good Seed - Saturday, September 13, 2020
  by GBV Dillenburg GmbH
Details
Thoughts on the Gospel of John (8)

Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who are you? He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, I am not the Christ. And they asked him, What then? Are you Elijah? He said, I am not. Are you the prophet? And he answered, No. Then they said to him, Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself? He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness: Make straight the way of the Lord, as Isaiah the prophet said. Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees.
John 1:19-24

Thoughts on the Gospel of John (8)
From the other three gospels we know that John the Baptist prepared the people for the Messiah. His call for repentance could not be overheard. The Pharisees were curious: who was this man? He had never been taught in their schools.

Profoundly impressed by Jesus Christ, John testified, "I am not the Christ." We do not read of a direct question whether John was the promised Redeemer. John's reply implied: "You have come to me, but I am not the One you need. I am not the Christ." As a faithful witness He does not speak of himself. The more they ask, the shorter his replies become. "Are you Elijah?" - "I am not." - "Are you the prophet?" - "No."

John refused to assume a name to show greatness. He did not consider himself the forerunner of the Messiah. It was the Lord Himself, Jehovah, whom the Jews knew from the Old Testament, and who was about to appear. So John calls himself merely a "voice" that obediently passes on a message, but will soon be silent.

(to be continued next Sunday)

Today's reading: Judges 9:26-57 · 2 Corinthians 9:1-15





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-FOOLISH PROPHETS
The LORD is near
for Thursday, December 5, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-FOOLISH PROPHETS

The word of Jehovah came unto me, saying: Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say unto them that prophesy out of their own heart, Hear ye the word of Jehovah. Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow after their own spirit, and have seen nothing!...More
EVERYONE NEEDS A MIRACLE
Open Heavens
for Tuesday, January 28, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

EVERYONE NEEDS A MIRACLE

Some years ago, I was invited to be the guest speaker at a garden party in an exclusive, highbrow residential area. Because I arrived at the venue quite early, I was made to sit for a while in the house of my host. The house was an exquisite parade of wealth and splendour. I had never seen such brazen display of...More
FOR CHRIST'S SAKE DON'T!
Open Heavens
for Wednesday, November 19, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE DON'T!

A negative change is generally abhorred by men. Everyone craves progress. We always desire to keep ascending the ladder of success. No one wants to make a u-turn in the journey of greatness. The greatest journey whose end has the greatest significance is the journey to Heaven. This journey is only made in Jesus...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions