daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 5:46 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


At the Olympic Games in Paris in 1924... - All The Good Seed Daily Devotionals for 2026

At the Olympic Games in Paris in 1924... details logo    The Good Seed - Monday, October 13, 2020
  by GBV Dillenburg GmbH
Details
At the Olympic Games in Paris in 1924...

We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
2 Corinthians 5:10

At the Olympic Games in Paris in 1924 the Scotsman Eric Liddell (1902-1945) won two medals, first the bronze over 200 metres; a few days later he was in the final of the 400 metres. It was not his distance, but he won the gold medal in world record time: 47.6 seconds. As a result he became the most famous sportsman of his time in Scotland.

During the following weeks many wanted to see and hear him. At one of these meetings he said at the end of his speech: "Before I sit down, I must tell you something. It was a wonderful experience participating in the Olympic Games and bringing a gold medal back home. But since my childhood I have set my sight on another prize. As you know, each of us has a more important race to run than the one I had in Paris. The race of our life ends when God hands over the medals. I have always wanted to be a missionary and have just learned that I can emigrate to China. From now on I shall devote all my energy to this work."

His listeners, and the whole country, were speechless. Scotland's greatest athlete was giving up running to become a missionary!

Eric Liddell knew that God would judge his life. God's verdict was important to him: he lived for it. For what or for whom do I devote my energy? At the end of his life the apostle Paul said, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness" (2 Timothy 4:7.8).

Today's reading: 1 Chronicles 8:1-40 · Psalm 82:1-8





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


A Spiritual Checkup (1)
The Word for today
for Wednesday, January 15, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

A Spiritual Checkup (1)

The Lord searches every heart and understands every motive'
1 Chronicles 28:9


The Psalmist prayed, Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting' (Psalms 139:23-24 NKJV). If you're wise you'll...More
HOW PROPHETIC ARE YOUR NAMES?
Open Heavens
for Friday, November 20, 2015
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

HOW PROPHETIC ARE YOUR NAMES?

The name you bear is very important because it serves as your identity and your future may be connected to it. The name a person bears is sometimes indicative of the experiences he or she will encounter in life. Take for instance Moses: this name means "drawn out of water"

Bible in one year:
Job...More
Look For Teaching Moments
The Word for today
for Tuesday, November 6, 2019
by Bob and Debby Gass

Look For Teaching Moments

What do these stones mean?' Joshua 4:21 NIV

One of the most effective ways to teach is through teaching moments'. Jesus did that. When a fig tree didn't produce fruit, He cursed it and it immediately withered up. That got the disciples' attention (see Matthew 21:18-22). Then He explained that unless...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions