daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 7:32 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


A normal Nigerian policeman (1) - All The Good Seed Daily Devotionals for 2026

A normal Nigerian policeman (1) details logo    The Good Seed - Wednesday, October 6, 2022
  by GBV Dillenburg GmbH
Details
A normal Nigerian policeman (1)

What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?
Mark 8:36.

A normal Nigerian policeman (1)
In 1978 I entered the Nigerian police service. Like every policeman in Nigeria, as a custodian of the law I enjoyed a certain amount of power and some privileges over my compatriots. We all understood this to be part of our profession.

In April 1983 there was a fatal road accident between the capital Lagos and Ibadan. Two people were killed, and three others severely injured. Together with a colleague I had to clarify the details of the accident. I ordered him to take the injured to the nearest hospital.

My task was to search for objects that might lead to the identification of those involved. I searched the first car. Two things made me curious: a briefcase with cash worth about € 1,000,- and a new Bible, in which there was no name. As I was alone, I took possession of them. Such titbits were the joy of a normal Nigerian policeman.

I spent the money in less than three months, but the Bible still lay on table at home unheeded. Months later I had "forgotten" the matter, as did every normal policeman, until one day a colleague who was a friend visited me. He saw the Bible, flicked through the pages and happened to come across a passage with today's verse above: "What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?"

That reminded me how I had got hold of that book. But I tried to put it out of my mind, and a week later I went on holiday.

(to be concluded tomorrow).

Today's reading: Isaiah 38:1-16 · Hebrews 4:10-16





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-ELYMAS/BAR-JESUS
The LORD is near
for Thursday, December 12, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-ELYMAS/BAR-JESUS


A certain man a magician, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Bar-Jesus, who was with the proconsul Sergius Paulus, an intelligent manElymas the magician (for so his name is by interpretation) opposed them, seeking to turn away the proconsul from faith. ButPaul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixing his...More
Be Passionate About It (3)
The Word for today
for Saturday, January 4, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Be Passionate About It (3)

Press toward the goal for the prize'Philippians 3:14 NKJV
Albert Schweitzer said, Success is not the key to happiness, happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.' When you feel passionate about something and allow yourself to pursue it, you position yourself...More
TRANSFORMED BY THE NEW CREATION
Open Heavens
for Tuesday, May 5, 2015
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

TRANSFORMED BY THE NEW CREATION

One of the most profound wonders you will find anywhere in the world is the wonder of a transformed life. When a person who was demon-possessed suddenly becomes a vessel unto honour, what wonder can be greater than this? Such a person remains a wonder throughout his or her lifetime. This was the testimony of Mary...More
ONE AMAZING LETTER
Our Daily Bread
for Friday, September 10, 2016
by RBC Ministries

ONE AMAZING LETTER

READ:
. It is one amazing letter! - Dave Branon


The love of God for us is revealed in His letter to us - the...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions