daily devotionals online logo Monday, September 28, 2026 6:29 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


It Makes No Sense - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

It Makes No Sense details logo    Our Daily Bread - Saturday, July 19, 2025
  by RBC Ministries
Details
It Makes No Sense

Bible in a Year : Psalms 23-25, Acts 21:18-40

I call to you, Lord, every day; I spread out my hands to you.
Psalm 88:9

Today's Scripture & Insight : Psalm 88:1-9

The lively, laughing children were enjoying a dance workshop in Southport, northern England, during their holidays. Suddenly a man appeared, wielding a knife. Cruelly, he murdered three precious little girls, utterly broke their loving families and horrified a peaceful community. Stunned, the watching nation couldn’t process such senseless devastation.

A church leader promised that the church was “part of that community, that experience”, adding, “The most important message is that we are there with you and for you. I don’t think any words are going to make sense of the situation.”

There is no sense in grief. God never designed us to say “goodbye”—to loved ones, relationships, health. The psalmist described his own excruciating grief as “the darkest depths” (Psalm 88:6). Crying out to God in confusion, he went further: “You have put me in the lowest pit.” There was no way forward, no answer, no quick fix, no cure. “I am confined and cannot escape; my eyes are dim with grief” (vv. 8-9).

In the senselessness of his grief, the psalmist receives no answer. But he does set a great example: “I call to you, Lord, every day; I spread out my hands to you” (v. 9). In our grief, may we learn to journey every day with our Father, spreading our hands out to Him. No words will make sense of our situation, but His presence will hold us, even in our unspeakable pain.

By: Chris Wale

Reflect & Pray
When have you felt like the psalmist in Psalm 88? How might the practice of spreading your hands out before God each day help you to live through pain-filled days?

Heavenly Father, please comfort me in my heartache and loss. Draw especially close, just as You promise to, when life doesn’t make any sense.
It Makes No Sense





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and...
The LORD is near
for Friday, December 6, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and...

And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son. Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing: For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; ...More
What shall the baptized for the dead do if ...
The LORD is near
for Tuesday, December 17, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

What shall the baptized for the dead do if ...


What shall the baptized for the dead do if those that are baptized rise not at all? Why also are they baptized for them?
(1 Corinthians 15:29)


Who are "the dead," and who are those "baptized for the dead"? The next verse gives an important hint: "Why do we also endanger ourselves every...More
VICTORY OVER ENEMIES I
Open Heavens
for Tuesday, March 11, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

VICTORY OVER ENEMIES I

The first thing that strikes you in

Bible in one year:
Jeremiah 44-46
Psalm 58

Prayer...More
KEEP YOURSELF HUMBLE
Open Heavens
for Friday, April 17, 2015
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

KEEP YOURSELF HUMBLE

Several years ago, I was on a visit to a parish of our church in Ilesha (a town in southwest Nigeria) on the same day that a Bible Study was to take place. Because I wanted to be blessed, I sat down in the congregation waiting for the Bible study teacher to commence the lesson for the day. However, an overzealous...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions