daily devotionals online logo Wednesday, September 30, 2026 7:39 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Anonymous Kindness - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Anonymous Kindness details logo    Our Daily Bread - Monday, April 2, 2018
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Anonymous Kindness

Read: Matthew 6:1-4 | Bible in a Year: Judges 16-18; Luke 7:1-30

When you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.
Matthew 6:3

When I first graduated from college, I found myself needing to adopt a strict grocery budget—twenty-five dollars a week, to be exact. One day, while entering the checkout line, I suspected the groceries I'd selected cost slightly more than my remaining money. "Just stop when we reach twenty dollars," I told the cashier, and I was able to purchase everything I'd selected but a bag of peppers.

As I was about to drive home, a man stopped by my car. "Here's your peppers, ma'am," he said, handing the bag to me. Before I had time to thank him, he was already walking away.

We give only because of what our generous God has so lavishly given us
Remembering the simple goodness of this act of kindness still warms my heart and brings to mind Jesus's words in Matthew 6. Criticizing those who made a show of giving to the needy (v. 2), Jesus taught His disciples a different way. Instead of making giving all about them and their generosity, He urged that giving should be done so secretly it's like their left hand isn't even aware their right is giving (v. 3)!

As one person's anonymous kindness reminded me, giving should never be about us. We give only because of what our generous God has so lavishly given us (2 Corinthians 9:6-11). As we give quietly and generously, we reflect who He is—and God receives the thanksgiving only He deserves (v. 11).

Giving quietly and generously reflects God's generosity.

By Monica Brands





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


HOW PERSUADED?
Open Heavens
for Tuesday, December 17, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

HOW PERSUADED?

In 2 Timothy 4:10, Demas - a co-labourer with Paul was floored by his love for the world. He became a victim of comfort. Today, many people are also becoming prayerless and shifting their or trust from God to uncertain riches. They are now tending towards the belief that money can fix everything. If you are in such...More
A LESSON FROM GOLIATH
Open Heavens
for Tuesday, January 21, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

A LESSON FROM GOLIATH

At the first sight of David, Goliath despised him. He was amazed that the children of Israel could find no other man to fight him than a young boy. As if that was not enough, Goliath did not see any conventional weapon of war on David. So he asked, "Am I a dog?" The first lesson we have to learn from this story as...More
Always Be Humble
The Word for today
for Sunday, January 31, 2016
by Bob and Debby Gass

Always Be Humble

Who am Ithat you have brought me this far?' 2 Samuel 7:18 (NIV 2011 Edition)
A MEMBER of parliament took his little daughter to visit Westminster Abbey. As she stood looking up at its magnificent columns, her father asked, What do you think, sweetheart?' With childlike candour she replied, I was...More
Forgive And Move On (2)
The Word for today
for Tuesday, August 12, 2020
by Bob and Debby Gass

Forgive And Move On (2)

Anyone who starts ploughing and keeps looking back isn't worth a thing to God's Kingdom!' Luke 9:62 CEV

If you're wise, you'll do four things:

(1) Focus on the road ahead. By looking in the rear-view mirror instead of what's up ahead, you'll end up in a ditch. Focus on the fact you've...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions