daily devotionals online logo Wednesday, September 30, 2026 6:29 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Free to Follow - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Free to Follow details logo    Our Daily Bread - Wednesday, May 16, 2018
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Free to Follow

Read: Matthew 11:25-30 | Bible in a Year: 2 Kings 24-25; John 5:1-24

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:29

My high school cross-country coach once advised me before a race, "Don't try to be in the lead. The leaders almost always burn out too quickly." Instead, he suggested I stay close behind the fastest runners. By letting them set the pace, I could conserve the mental and physical strength I'd need to finish the race well.

Leading can be exhausting; following can be freeing. Knowing this improved my running, but it took me a lot longer to realize how this applies to Christian discipleship. In my own life, I was prone to think being a believer in Jesus meant trying really hard. By pursuing my own exhausting expectations for what a Christian should be, I was inadvertently missing the joy and freedom found in simply following Him (John 8:32, 36).

Lord, I'm so thankful I don't have to be in charge of my own life. Help me rest in You.

But we weren't meant to direct our own lives, and Jesus didn't start a self-improvement program. Instead, He promised that in seeking Him we will find the rest we long for (Matthew 11:25-28). Unlike many other religious teachers' emphasis on rigorous study of Scripture or an elaborate set of rules, Jesus taught that it's simply through knowing Him that we know God (v. 27). In seeking Him, we find our heavy burdens lifted (vv. 28-30) and our lives transformed.

Because following Him, our gentle and humble Leader (v. 29), is never burdensome—it's the way of hope and healing. Resting in His love, we are free.

Lord, I'm so thankful I don't have to be in charge of my own life. Help me rest in You.

True freedom is found in following Christ.

By Monica Brands





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


Now before the feast of the Passover...
The LORD is near
for Sunday, December 1, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Now before the feast of the Passover...

Now before the feast of the Passover, Jesus, knowing that His hour had come that He should depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, loved them to the end
(John 13:1)

The opening verse of chapter 13 is introductory to the last discourses of our Lord. The...More
UNCOVERING EVIL
Open Heavens
for Thursday, December 5, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

UNCOVERING EVIL

The presence of the supernatural power of God in a church can take that church beyond limits.
It can also uproot the presence of evil in the midst of Gods children. In Acts 5, a couple were uprooted through this. If we are going to sanitise the church, we need the Holy Spirit. Just as we need Him to heal, save...More
And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and...
The LORD is near
for Friday, December 6, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and...

And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son. Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing: For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; ...More
THE NON-LYING GOD (2)
The LORD is near
for Friday, December 27, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

THE NON-LYING GOD (2)


In the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised before the ages of time, but has manifested in its own due season His word.
(Titus 1:2-3)

THE NON-LYING GOD (2)
I can lie. Titus could too, and so could the Cretans. But God can not lie. I can deceive. But...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions