daily devotionals online logo Wednesday, September 30, 2026 4:21 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


The Joy of Giving - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

The Joy of Giving details logo    Our Daily Bread - Monday, August 6, 2018
  by RBC Ministries
Details
The Joy of Giving

Read: 1 Thessalonians 5:12-24 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 70-71; Romans 8:22-39

Encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
1 Thessalonians 5:14

It was a dreary week. I had been feeling lethargic and listless, although I couldn't figure out why.

Near the end of the week, I found out that an aunt had kidney failure. I knew I had to visit her—but to be honest, I felt like postponing the visit. Still, I made my way to her place, where we had dinner, chatted, and prayed together. An hour later, I left her home feeling upbeat for the first time in days. Focusing on someone else rather than myself had somehow improved my mood.

Psychologists have found that the act of giving can produce satisfaction, which comes when the giver sees the recipient's gratitude. Some experts even believe that humans are wired to be generous!

Perhaps that's why Paul, when encouraging the church in Thessalonica to build up their faith community, urged them to "help the weak" (1 Thessalonians 5:14). Earlier, he had also cited Jesus's words, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35). While this was said in the context of giving financially, it applies as well to the giving of time and effort.

When we give, we get an insight into how God feels. We understand why He's so delighted to give us His love, and we share in His joy and the satisfaction of blessing others. I think I'll be visiting my aunt again soon.

Father, You have made me to give to others just as You have given to me. Teach me to give so that I can truly reflect Your character and be more like You today.

The giver is the greatest recipient.

By Leslie Koh





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


APPLY THE KEY
Open Heavens
for Sunday, December 15, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

APPLY THE KEY

Every blessing worth its salt requires a key without which the seeker cannot access it. While some people have never experienced open doors, others once did, but the doors hitherto opened to them have been shut. In

Bible in one year:
Psalm 82-84

Key...More
Pray A Prayer Of Release
The Word for today
for Friday, January 10, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Pray A Prayer Of Release

[The] curse does not come to rest.'Proverbs 26:2 NIV

Author Stormie Omartian grew up with a mother who told her she was worthless. She locked Stormie in a closet because she couldn't stand to see her daughter's face'! Stormie writes: I was raised by a mentally ill motherandher behaviour left me...More
September 13, 2015
The Good Seed
for Sunday, September 13, 2015
by GBV Dillenburg GmbH

September 13, 2015

Today's reading: Psalm 88

And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will. Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise...More
Goodbye for Now
Our Daily Bread
for Wednesday, March 7, 2018
by RBC Ministries

Goodbye for Now

Read: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 | Bible in a Year: Deuteronomy 3-4; Mark 10:32-52



At death, God's people don't say "goodbye," but "we'll see you later."


By Cindy Hess...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions