daily devotionals online logo Wednesday, September 30, 2026 2:00 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Free from Frostbite - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Free from Frostbite   details logo    Our Daily Bread - Saturday, January 26, 2019
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Free from Frostbite

Read: Psalm 119:33-48 | Bible in a Year: Exodus 14-15; Matthew 17

Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.
Psalm 119:35

On a winter day, my children begged to go sledding. The temperature hovered near zero degrees Fahrenheit. Snowflakes raced by our windows. I thought it over and said yes, but asked them to bundle up, stay together, and come inside after fifteen minutes.

Out of love, I created those rules so my children could play freely without suffering frostbite. I think the author of Psalm 119 recognized the same good intent in God as he penned two consecutive verses that might seem contradictory: "I will always obey your law" and "I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts" (vv. 44-45). How is it that the psalmist associated freedom with a spiritually law-abiding life?

Following God's wise instruction allows us to escape the consequences that come from choices we later wish we could undo. Without the weight of guilt or pain we are freer to enjoy our lives. God doesn't want to control us with dos and don'ts; rather, His guidelines show that He loves us.

While my kids were sledding, I watched them blast down the hill. I smiled at the sound of their laughter and the sight of their pink cheeks. They were free within the boundaries I'd given them. This compelling paradox is present in our relationship with God—it leads us to say with the psalmist, "Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight" (v. 35).

Dear God, give me a love for Your ways like the psalmist had. I want to worship You with the choices I make every day.

Obedience flows freely from a heart of love.

By Jennifer Benson Schuldt





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, ...
The LORD is near
for Friday, December 13, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, ...


. He learned that God can only use subjection of Himself, weakness in self, and dependence upon Him only.
However, there was only one person, spiritually speaking, who was a true Nazarite, and that was our Lord Jesus. He shows us that it is not a negative thing to be separated from the world but rather a...More
Are You Feeling Insecure? (2)
The Word for today
for Monday, January 6, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Are You Feeling Insecure? (2)

Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you'
Jeremiah 1:17 NIV
Are you embarrassed about your beginnings? Jeremiah was. He begins his book by listing the good people an the bad people in his background. Well, guess what? We all came from a less than perfect gene pool! We're...More
FAITHFULNESS
Daily Scripture Reading
for Tuesday, July 28, 2015
by STUDENT CHRISTIAN MOVEMENT (SCM) OF NIGERIA & WORLD STUDENT CHRISTIAN FEDERATION (WSCF) AFRICA REGION

FAITHFULNESS

...More
Adam found an excuse:
The Good Seed
for Friday, February 25, 2017
by GBV Dillenburg GmbH

Adam found an excuse:


Jeremiah 17:9

In a discussion on the above text with some young people, the question was asked: how are we to understand the word "deceitful" here? After some consideration they reached this conclusion: deceitful means that the heart finds an excuse for everything. This seems a very apt...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions