daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 10:32 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


You Have to Relax! - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

You Have to Relax! details logo    Our Daily Bread - Friday, August 24, 2019
  by RBC Ministries
Details
You Have to Relax!

Bible in a Year: Psalms 116-118; 1 Corinthians 7:1-19

Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.
Psalm 116:7

Today's Scripture & Insight: Psalm 116:1-9

"You must relax," pronounces a doctor crisply in Disney's Rescuers Down Under, attempting to treat the injured albatross Wilbur, a reluctant patient. "Relax? I am relaxed!" a clearly not relaxed Wilbur responds sarcastically as his panic grows. "If I were any more relaxed, I'd be dead!"

Can you relate? In light of the doctor's dubious methods (such as a chainsaw dubbed an "epidermal tissue disruptor"), Wilbur's misgivings seem justified. But the scene is funny because it captures how we tend to feel when we're panicking—whether or not what we're facing is actually life-threatening.

When we're terrified, encouragement to relax can feel ridiculous. I know when I feel life's terrors piling up around me, and when painful "cords of death" (Psalm 116:3) tighten my stomach into knots, my every instinct is to fight back, not to relax.

And yet . . . more often than not, my panicked attempts to fight back only tighten anxiety's vice-grip, leaving me crippled by fear. But when I, albeit reluctantly, allow myself to feel my pain and lift it up to God (v. 4), something surprising happens. The knot inside me relaxes a bit (v. 7), and a peace I can't understand rushes through me.

And as the Spirit's comforting presence surrounds me, I understand a bit more the truth at the heart of the gospel: we fight best when we surrender into the powerful arms of God (1 Peter 5:6-7).

By: Monica Brands

Reflect & Pray
What struggles do you think of as "cords of death" in your life? How could you grow in surrendering to God's love and care in the hard times?

God, help us surrender our desperate attempts at control and let go of the burdens we weren't meant to bear to find rest in Your grace and goodness.





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


SUBSTITUTION
Open Heavens
for Wednesday, December 18, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

SUBSTITUTION

Another way God executes deliverance is by the law of substitution. Proverbs 11:8 says,
"The righteous is delivered out of trouble, and the wicked cometh in his stead. "

At oftentimes, if a particular incident that has been slated against the righteous must surely be carried out, God gives the captor...More
Get Ready To Move (1)
The Word for today
for Friday, January 24, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Get Ready To Move (1)

Get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give'
Joshua 1:2 NIV

God said to Joshua: Moses my servant is dead. Now thenget ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give [you]I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. Your...More
MISTAKEN IDENTITY
Our Daily Bread
for Monday, March 21, 2016
by RBC Ministries

MISTAKEN IDENTITY

READ:


He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
-Matthew 16:15

THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Joshua 7-9
Luke 1:21-38

My youngest brother, Scott, was born when I was a senior in high school. This age difference made for an interesting situation when...More
You Are Gifted By God (1)
The Word for today
for Wednesday, January 21, 2021
by Bob and Debby Gass

You Are Gifted By God (1)

The same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.' 1 Corinthians 12:11 NKJV

The Bible says, The secret to success is not just in activity, but in abiding! Your job is to learn the ways of God, and lean on the power of God.

SoulFood: Is...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions