daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 9:37 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Finding a Quiet Life - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Finding a Quiet Life details logo    Our Daily Bread - Tuesday, October 16, 2019
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Finding a Quiet Life

Bible in a Year: Isaiah 47-49, 1 Thessalonians 4

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life.
1 Thessalonians 4:11

Today's Scripture & Insight: 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" We all heard that question as children and sometimes even as adults. The question is born in curiosity, and the answer is often heard as an indication of ambition. My answers morphed over the years, starting with a cowboy, then a truck driver, followed by a soldier, and I entered college set on becoming a doctor. However, I can't recall one time that someone suggested or I consciously considered pursuing "a quiet life."

Yet that's exactly what Paul told the Thessalonians. First, he urged them to love one another and all of God's family even more (1 Thessalonians 4:10). Then he gave them a general admonition that would cover whatever specific plow they put their hand to. "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life" (v. 11). Now what did Paul mean by that exactly? He clarified: "You should mind your own business and work with your hands" so outsiders respect you and you're not a burden on anyone (vv. 11-12). We don't want to discourage children from pursuing their giftedness or passions but maybe we could encourage them that whatever they choose to do, they do with a quiet spirit.

Considering the world we live in, the words ambitious and quiet couldn't seem further apart. But the Scriptures are always relevant, so perhaps we should consider what it might look like to begin living quieter.

By: John Blase

Reflect & Pray

How does Paul's phrase—"mind your own business"—sit with you? Who comes to mind of someone who lives a quiet life that you might emulate?

Jesus, living a quiet life sounds so inviting, but I know it won't come easily. I ask for the grace to mind my own business, not so I can close myself off from the world, but that I won't add to the noise.





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


SUBSTITUTION
Open Heavens
for Wednesday, December 18, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

SUBSTITUTION

Another way God executes deliverance is by the law of substitution. Proverbs 11:8 says,
"The righteous is delivered out of trouble, and the wicked cometh in his stead. "

At oftentimes, if a particular incident that has been slated against the righteous must surely be carried out, God gives the captor...More
Get Ready To Move (1)
The Word for today
for Friday, January 24, 2014
by Bob and Debby Gass

Get Ready To Move (1)

Get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give'
Joshua 1:2 NIV

God said to Joshua: Moses my servant is dead. Now thenget ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give [you]I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. Your...More
MISTAKEN IDENTITY
Our Daily Bread
for Monday, March 21, 2016
by RBC Ministries

MISTAKEN IDENTITY

READ:


He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
-Matthew 16:15

THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Joshua 7-9
Luke 1:21-38

My youngest brother, Scott, was born when I was a senior in high school. This age difference made for an interesting situation when...More
You Are Gifted By God (1)
The Word for today
for Wednesday, January 21, 2021
by Bob and Debby Gass

You Are Gifted By God (1)

The same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.' 1 Corinthians 12:11 NKJV

The Bible says, The secret to success is not just in activity, but in abiding! Your job is to learn the ways of God, and lean on the power of God.

SoulFood: Is...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions