daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 4:12 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


Wise Counsel - All Our Daily Bread Daily Devotionals for 2026

Wise Counsel details logo    Our Daily Bread - Sunday, April 4, 2022
  by RBC Ministries
Details
Wise Counsel

Bible in a Year: Ruth 1-4, Luke 8:1-25

The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone.
Exodus 18:18

Today's Scripture & Insight: Exodus 18:13-22

While attending seminary, I was working full-time. Add to that a chaplaincy rotation and an internship at a church. I was busy. When my father visited me, he said, "You're going to have a breakdown." I shrugged off his warning thinking he was of another generation and didn't understand goal-setting.

I didn't have a breakdown. But I did experience a very rough, dry season in which I fell into depression. Since then, I've learned to listen to warnings—especially from loved ones—more carefully.

That reminds me of Moses' story. He too was diligently working, serving as Israel's judge (Exodus 18:13). Yet he chose to listen to his father-in-law's warning (vv. 17-18). Jethro wasn't in the thick of things, but he loved Moses and his family and could see trouble ahead. Perhaps that's why Moses was able to listen to Jethro and heed his advice. Moses set up a system for "capable men from all the people" to take on the smaller disputes, and he took the more difficult cases (vv. 21-22). Because he listened to Jethro, rearranged his work, and entrusted others to shoulder the load, he was able to avoid burnout during that season of life.

Many of us take our work for God, our families, and others seriously—passionately even. But we still need to heed the advice of trusted loved ones and to rely on the wisdom and power of God in all we do.

By: Katara Patton

Reflect & Pray
Whose voice can you trust to remind you to serve wisely? What mechanisms do you have in place to avoid burnout? When did you implement them last?

Almighty God, thank You for allowing me to serve You in many ways. As I passionately care for others, teach me to also work wisely so that I'll have energy to do what You want me to do.
Wise Counsel





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-THE FALSE PROPHET
The LORD is near
for Thursday, December 19, 2013
by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr

FALSE PROPHETS AND THEIR PROPHECIES-THE FALSE PROPHET


And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the...More
EVERYONE NEEDS A MIRACLE
Open Heavens
for Tuesday, January 28, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

EVERYONE NEEDS A MIRACLE

Some years ago, I was invited to be the guest speaker at a garden party in an exclusive, highbrow residential area. Because I arrived at the venue quite early, I was made to sit for a while in the house of my host. The house was an exquisite parade of wealth and splendour. I had never seen such brazen display of...More
PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS
Open Heavens
for Saturday, July 10, 2016
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS

Read:
that when he cried to the Lord, the Lord healed him. This is another testimony of someone who believed in the God that answers prayers. May prayer for someone using this devotional is that as you cry unto God today, He will answer you as He answered Hannah, Jabez and Elijah in Jesus'...More
The bankruptcy that saves
The Good Seed
for Wednesday, August 19, 2021
by GBV Dillenburg GmbH

The bankruptcy that saves

None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him - for the redemption of their souls is costly, and it shall cease for ever.

You were not redeemed with silver or gold from your aimless conduct but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions