daily devotionals online logo Monday, September 28, 2026 3:24 PM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


An Interesting “I” Condition - All The LORD is near Daily Devotionals for 2026

An Interesting “I” Condition details logo    The LORD is near - Tuesday, April 30, 2024
  by Jacob Redekop, Brian Reynolds, John van Dijk, Eugene P. Vedder Jr
Details
An Interesting “I” Condition

For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.

According to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

Romans 7:15 NKJV; Philippians 1:20 NKJV

An Interesting “I” Condition
Romans 7 records Paul’s distressing experience, one which probably all believers have gone through—namely, the realization that we want to honor the Lord, yet we cannot seem to break free from the power of sin. Bible students have rightly observed that the personal pronouns “I,” “me,” and “my” appear several dozen times in that passage. When we focus on ourselves, we spiral downward into despair. Deliverance only comes when the work of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit are understood and applied (Rom. 7:24–8:2).

As a result, though, it is sometimes said that Christians should never think about themselves at all. In the context of Romans 7, that is important; but we must be careful not to give the wrong impression. It is not true that Christians should never have any personal thoughts, emotions, desires, or plans. In the little book of Philippians, for example, those same personal pronouns appear more than 100 times!

Why is Paul’s use of the word “I” different in Philippians as compared to Romans 7? The difference is Christ. In Philippians, Paul’s hopes and plans were bound up in his identity as a Christian. This kept him moving forward for the Lord as he expressed his desires for service, his plans to visit Philippi, and his deeply-felt concerns for the spiritual and physical health of others.

If we can say, “To me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21), resting in Christ rather than in our achievements, then the personal pronoun “I” can be sanctified as we seek to serve the Lord.

-- Stephen Campbell





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


GOD PROMOTES
Open Heavens
for Friday, December 20, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

GOD PROMOTES

When God set out to deliver the children of Israel from Egypt, it was to take them out of captivity and bondage and to lift them up. God has come to take you out of your current location in the miry clay to your promised land - a land flowing with milk and honey. This simply tells us that the God of Abraham, Isaac...More
TRAIN UP YOUR CHILD 1
Open Heavens
for Sunday, February 2, 2014
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

TRAIN UP YOUR CHILD 1

One major undoing of modern civilized society is an abounding generation of untrained children. This trend did not just start, but has been on for some time now. The result is that many untrained children of few years back have become parents themselves. It is the multiplier effect of their lack of proper home...More
A LIBERAL HEART?
Open Heavens
for Saturday, November 27, 2016
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

A LIBERAL HEART?

Read:
, God asked the widow to feed the prophet before taking care of herself. At the end of the day, what was not enough became more than enough. To what extent do you practice giving as an individual, family, church or nation?

Those who never give will continue to beg, if you desire to...More
A DISTINCTIVE FAITH
Today in the Word
for Thursday, October 22, 2021
by Moody's Bible Institute

A DISTINCTIVE FAITH

Hebrews 11:24-28

Author Zora Neale Hurston wrote a book titled Moses, Man of the Mountain. Published in 1939, it retells the story of Moses and the Exodus. Hurston altered details of the story for her own purposes, weaving in allusions to African American history, folklore, and song. She reflected...More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions