daily devotionals online logo Tuesday, September 29, 2026 3:42 AM GMT+1
       Reset Password       
Click here to sign up.
 
daily devotionals online
Home
       our daily bread
Our Daily Bread
       the good seed
The Good Seed
       the LORD is near
The LORD is near
       andrew wommack
Andrew Wommack
       billy graham
Billy Graham
       the word for today
The Word for Today
 
christian topics
Christian
       general topics
General
       interesting topics
Interesting
       more dailydevotionals online links
More
 


You are commanded to love (1) - All The Word for Today Daily Devotionals for 2026

You are commanded to love (1) details logo    The Word for Today - Sunday, August 1, 2022
  by Bob and Debby Gass
Details
You are commanded to love (1)

‘A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another.' John 13:34 NKJV

Love is almost certainly the most misunderstood word in the world. We dilute its meaning by overuse: ‘I love my wife, I love my country, I love pizza.' Giving and receiving love is difficult when we don't even comprehend what it is. So, we need to clear up a couple of misconceptions. We think love is a feeling—a sentimental knot in your stomach. True love does create feelings, but it is more than a feeling.

A second misconception is that love is uncontrollable. Have you ever said, ‘I fell in love'—as if you had stumbled? We say, ‘I can't help it if I'm in love,' or the opposite, ‘I can't help it; I just don't love him (or her) anymore.' The fact that Jesus commands us to love one another means that we do have control over whom we love and whom we do not. Love, at its core, is two things.

First, love is a matter of choice. ‘Over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.' (Colossians 3:14 NIV) Notice those two small words, ‘put on'. Like you choose the clothes you wear each day, you choose the attitude you will display. So, love is controllable.

Second, love is a matter of behaviour. ‘Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.' (1 John 3:18 NIV) It works like this: when you reach out towards someone with genuine love and concern, your feelings towards that person change. And even if they don't return your love, God is pleased with you. That's reward enough.

SoulFood: Acts 27-28 Mark 1:9-20 Ps 78:9-16 Pro 16:25





 

More From Our Daily Devotional Archives


CAN SATAN RIGHTLY ACCUSE YOU?
Open Heavens
for Saturday, December 14, 2013
by Pastor E.A Adeboye

CAN SATAN RIGHTLY ACCUSE YOU?

Besides discouragement, another weapon Satan uses often against believers is their weaknesses. He simply studies an individual for a period of time and not long after, he identifies the fellow's weakness and capitalizes on it. Take for instance Peter. Satan discovered that Peter is a cowardly person-lacking in...More
DON'T KILL YOURSELF FOR NOTHING
Daily Scripture Reading
for Saturday, August 22, 2015
by STUDENT CHRISTIAN MOVEMENT (SCM) OF NIGERIA & WORLD STUDENT CHRISTIAN FEDERATION (WSCF) AFRICA REGION

DON'T KILL YOURSELF FOR NOTHING



Do hope you are learning from our meditations through Psalm 73. It pictures to us the reality of everyday living. I do hope you are realizing that after all there is no point envying the prosperous wicked. Do not kill yourself for nothing. You have your life to live. Do not be a puppet dancing the...More
Hudson Taylor...
The Good Seed
for Saturday, May 20, 2017
by GBV Dillenburg GmbH

Hudson Taylor...


John 19:30

The parents of Hudson Taylor (1832-1905), the well-known missionary in China, were believers. From their example, he noticed early in life how helpful prayer and the Bible are.
His parents' exemplary life impressed him, and he endeavoured to be as good a Christian as they were....More



 



For enquiries, notifications and ad placement send mail to dailydevotionalsonline@gmail.com
Copyright 2012 - 2026 All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy || Terms & Conditions